As some of you know, I am leaving for a couple of weeks today and heading off to Dubai. This past January, I was in a similar situation and mad as hell that I was missing the NFL Playoffs. They have 8 sports channels that run 24 hrs and 7 of them were showing soccer when finally I stumbled upon the NFL game, only it was being called in Arabic with some guy screaming “YALLAAAA TUCHDAAAN”.
I hate that I am going to be away for the final part of the NBA season where its all about playoff positions or ping pong balls, but this time I am going prepared! Here is my Survival Kit for the next 2 1/2 weeks
- Set up iTunes subscriptions for “The Basketball Jones” – If there is only one thing you can make time for, this should be at the top of your list. An added bonus to the podcast is the awesome soundtrack laid down by JD
- Bookmark these blogs for game recaps : Ball Don’t Lie – Talkhoops – Slamonline – These guys got game recaps on lockdown so you will never have to read another AP story again.
- Set up a twitter account and follow the best NBA Tweeps who have taken over the “Twitterverse” (Some good lists of people to follow: List 1 List 2 List 3)
- Subscribe to NBA LP Broadband and if you are too cheap or simply too lazy (like moi) you can always catch games here or here
- Favorite the NBA TV Youtube channel to catch all the game highlights
- Check in on Elie Seckbach who brings the fiyah in candid videos with players in the League.
- Basketbawful’s Worst of the Night tells it like it is.. the bad the badder and the baddest!
- If you feel the need to vent with some rabid fans head over to the RealGM forums (Don’t blame me if you hate your team by the end of the experience!)
- Install some apps on your phone (Do not blame me for data charges!) to keep you updated with live scores – iPhone: Sportstap & Score Mobile – Blackberry: Viigo
On the Blog front: I doub’t I will get much time to write but I do plan to keep this place updated by running a photo series of my adventures in trying to find the perfect spot to catch NBA games – From Hotel Lobbies to TGIF’s
This gallery contains 1 photos.
Chris Bosh turned 25 today and the media had a birthday present waiting for him. Early today the news leaked of his pending lawsuit accusing him of being a deadbeat dad and from there out media and blogs took over. … Continue reading
March Madness is upon us and the president wants in on the action! Everything Pres. Obama has done to date has solidified him as the right choice in the eyes of the younger generation as he repeatedly has been able … Continue reading
This gallery contains 2 photos.
St. Paddy’s day came and went and along with it the NBA cashed in once again. As they have done in the past, several teams not named the Celtics donned an alternate jersey to celebrate the occasion and in turn … Continue reading
This gallery contains 1 photos.
When are these players gonna get it right? Sean Williams is a repeat offender when it comes to breaking the law and hasn’t done much to help his reputation coming out of college. This time around Sean decided to take … Continue reading
“IF” the NBA on TNT rules come into effect the Cav’s will blow out the Suns!
“IF” Tony Parker ate his “Sub” today
“IF” Manu stops riding on rollercoasters (pic courtesy of J.E.Skeets)
“IF” Roger Mason Jr can jack up another insane shot
… The San Antonio Spurs will win this game
“IF” Sacha turns into “The Machine”
“IF” Kobe can keep his elbows to himself
“IF” Andrew Bynum can stop throwing benjamins and get back onto the court
… The Los Angeles Lakers will win this game
Forget about playoff talk and end of year awards, as a Raptors season ticket holder it’s that time of year again where I evaluate my ROI and wonder… will it get better? Multiple E-Mails and Phone calls from my account rep triggered off this open response to MLSE and the Toronto Raptors.
The Toronto Raptors are a business first and foremost and I understand that… my issue here is you need to keep your “investors” happy in order for them to keep funding your operation. I have been a STH for 8 seasons and hope to be again next year but all the flashbacks of the ’05-’06 season are making the decision much harder. I need a clearer idea on my return on investment before I fork out another 11 grand towards your product. I have heard your sales pitch one too many times and I need some answers before we move forward with this union
- You want the Fans to get behind your team, you want to reach out to a National audience, you want to fill your arena and get us to buy your $4 Cokes… What are you going to do that should make me believe next season will be any better?
- This year you don’t have the playoffs to use as a reason for us to give you our money in March you really think being in a lottery for a free TV is enough to lure me to re-up this early?
- How do you want me to maintain my loyalty to the team when you as an organization made a deal that eventually led to me not being able to watch 1/3 of the Raptor games?
- A discount on tickets is not going to cut it… what happened to all the other perks?
- As a team 9th in attendance and in the top tier when it comes to renewal rates do you not have money in the bank to provide us with real half-time entertainment anymore? Watching two guys miss dunk after dunk is only amusing the first time around…
Bottom line, I am emotionally invested in this team, but there comes a time when you have to separate emotions as a wise investor would and re-evaluate your position. For now the ball is in my court and I don’t appreciate being hounded by you every March when come October you are already coming up with excuses for why the season was a disappointment.
Heels on Hardwood
PS: I spent the first 10 games of the season staring up at that HD setup you boasted about all summer long, unfortunately it was not in awe that I looked at it each time but rather I kept checking to see when it would actually work!!!